Do you ever wonder why you lose focus and energy during your round of golf? According to Mike Pedersen, Golf Performance Coach, the reason is probably poor golf nutrition. If you don’t replenish your energy stores during play, you are destined for a loss of energy and strokes.
The answer is simple: PROPER snacks and lots of water. Your body needs readily available energy every 2-3 hours. It’s simple. Bring 2 pieces of fruit, a nutrition bar and a bottle of water to the course every time you play. Choose a nutrition bar that provides more carbohydrates than protein or fat.
(I did some research and found Par Bar nutrition bars that are formulated for golfers. I love the ingredients. Most everything is organic and healthy. And they taste great too! I have tried the Cranberry Almond and the Goji Lemon so far. Of the two, I personally liked the Cranberry best. Check out the Sun Valley Bars link on the bottom right column for more information. They come in boxes of 12, and if you can get three others to go in with you, you can get all four flavors and split them up, costing $1.86 per bar, including shipping.)
Your water consumption should be very consistent throughout the round. If it’s a 20 oz. bottle of water, you should be filling it up every 4-5 holes at a minimum. Dehydration occurs much sooner than you think.
Here’s a very simple rule of thumb. Make a mental note of what time you ate your last meal before you got to the course. If you’re like most people, probably 3-4 hours have lapsed by the time you get to hole number 2.
What’s that mean? Time for a piece of fruit…even if you aren’t hungry!
Then what? Check your watch and after 2 more hours have gone by eat that nutrition bar. This will be at hole 11 or 12.
That might do you, but if you get the hunger pangs, eat that last piece of fruit at the 16th hole. This will keep your blood sugar levels constant and enable you to stay focused those last couple of holes.
Another golf nutritionist has simplified it even further: Hole 4 – fruit; Hole 9 – nutrition bar; Hole 14 – fruit.You’ll soon be a believer in fueling your body for performance. The next time you go out, be careful. You might just shoot your “all-time” best score.
PLEASE GO TO THE BOTTOM OF THIS COLUMN TO SEE LISTINGS OF ALL KNOWN GOLFING EVENTS, BOTH LOCAL AND NON-LOCAL.
2018 SWGA playdays
- ALL OF THE EVENTS LISTED BELOW COUNT TOWARDS YOUR 100% PARTICIPATION RECOGNITION Except those marked with an (*)
- If you miss ONE required event, it can be replaced by ONE day of play in Team Matches
- March 6: Scramble at Eastridge CC, 9:00am COMPLETED
- April 10: Playday at Stonebridge, 9:00am
- May 22: Playday at Northwood, 9:00am
- June 7: Playday at Huntington Park, 9:00am
- June 21: Rain date for Huntington
- July 24: Playday at Southern Trace CC, 9:00am
- August 7: Scramble at Southern Trace IF there are no Team Matches. This is a chance to make-up one missed event to count towards 100% participation
- August 16: Playday at Fox Run GC (also practice round for Championship), 9:00am
- August 23-24: SWGA Championship, Fox Run GC, 9:00am
- *November 8: SWGA Turkey Scramble, Querbes Park, 9:30am
- December 4: SWGA/SSWGA Jingle Bell Scramble, Northwood, 10:00am, Bring a Toy
2017 SSWGA Events
- March 14: Stonebridge scramble, 9:00am COMPLETED
- May 31: rain makeup date for Querbes, 9:00am COMPLETED 16 players
- June 22: Eastridge playday, 9:00am
- July 11: Northwood playday, 9:00am COMPLETED 19 players
- July 20: Practice Rnd for championship, tee times needed
- July 26-27: Championship, Huntington Park, COMPLETED 13 players
- August 10: Crooked Hollow Playday, 9:00am, COMPLETED 21 players
- September 25: Playday at Fox Run, 9:00am CANCELLED
- October 19: Huntington Park Scramble, 9:00am COMPLETED 20 players
- November 16: Turkey Scramble, Southern Trace, 9:30am
Other 2018 LOCAL Events
- May 15-17: (NEW) "The Tradition" 2-Lady Tourney, Golf Club at Stonebridge, Benton, LA
- June 8-10: Stonebridge Couples Tournament, Golf Club at Stonebridge, Benton, LA
- June 22-24: Bonnie & Clyde Couples Tournament, Northwood Hills GC, Blanchard, LA
- September 18-19: Southern Belle, 2-Lady Tourney, Southern Trace CC, Shreveport, LA
- October 24-25: Roadrunner 2-Lady Tournament, Eastridge CC, Shreveport, LA
2018 State/Southern Events
Other 2018 NON-LOCAL Golfing Events
- May 31-June 2: Hot Springs Couples Tournament, Hot Springs Village, AR
- June 2: Queen for a Day, 2-Lady Scramble, Tallulah CC, Tallulah, LA
- June 16: Matthew Elliott Memorial Scramble, Frenchman's Bend GC, Monroe, LA 1:30pm
- August 8: Diamonds in the Rough, 4-lady tournament, Hollytree CC, Tyler, TX
- September 11-13: Twice as Nice Ladies Tourney, Texarkana CC, Texarkana, AR
- September 26-27: Squire Creek 2-Lady Tournament, Squire Creek CC, Choudrant, LA
- October 6-7: Texarkana Couples Tourney, Texarkana CC, Texarkana, AR