Wednesday, May 27, 2009
Tuesday, May 19, 2009
A note from Donna Cobb, SWGA Publicity and Scrapbook Chairman.....
Charlotte Calhoun (ERCC) and Pat Rice (BWGA) look through the scrapbooks that are travelling from club to club this year.
The SWGA scrapbooks will be on display at Southern Trace until June 9th; thanks to Becky Farr & Donna Phillips for making that happen.
Monday, May 18, 2009
Last Thursday was our playday at Querbes. When I got to the course, I couldn't find my socks, even though I distinctly remember putting them in my golfing handbag. As luck would have it, Donna Cobb has a brand new pair of socks (just like the ones I remembered putting in my bag) in her car. She gave me her new socks, bless her sweet heart.
Sunday, I was getting ready to go golf at Crooked Hollow. I got out the same bag I used on Thursday so I could put a pair of socks in it. Lo and behold, THERE WERE THE SOCKS I COULDN'T FIND ON THURSDAY....RIGHT IN THE BAG THAT I HAD LOOKED IN. I'm puzzled, but I think, okay, I've got a pair of socks already in my bag, so I put the ones I had gotten out of the drawer, back in the drawer.
I get to the golf course and get ready to put my shoes on. CAN'T FIND MY SOCKS!!!! I'm wondering now if I've been invaded by the sock fairy. I had to go in the pro shop and buy a 3-pack of socks! I go back to the car to put on my NEW socks and shoes, and I look in the bag for my shoe horn....AND THERE ARE MY SOCKS THAT I HAD PUT IN THE BAG!
Am I losing my mind? NO. There are TWO compartments on the bag...one in the front and one in the back. Each time I looked for the socks, I had looked in the wrong side. So now I have my original socks, Donna's pair of socks, and three MORE pair of socks!
When my husband has me committed, don't bring me any socks. I have plenty!!
Monday, May 4, 2009
The free round of golf for volunteers is good Monday-Friday, but Mary says she may be able to pull some strings for Saturday or Sunday if you volunteer. If you think you can help, contact Mary Coker.
Sunday, May 3, 2009
It was GREAT! I soon found out that I wasn't competing against all those GREAT golfers. I was competing with folks like myself. In fact, the first year I went, I was competing against Martha Lawhorne, who is one of my regular golfing buddies with a similar handicap. It would have been more fun if we hadn't had to compete against each other, where one of us had to lose, but other than that, it was great fun.
If you've never played match play, it's really a great format. You can really screw up a hole and still be a viable competitor. And the LWGA ladies really put on great tournaments. The food, fun, golf course, and prizes are really supurb.
Again this year the tournament is at Koasati Pines in Kinder, LA. Practice round and registration is Sunday, June 14, with the first round of match play on Monday, June 15. If you win on the first day, you play again in the winners' bracket on June 16. If you lost on the first day, you move to the losers' bracket. If you lose on the second day, you are eliminated. If you win on the second day in either bracket, you play on Wednesday, June 17th.
Entry fee is $140 and includes two days of golf with cart (practice round is additional $30), range balls, welcome dinner on Sunday evening, lunch and drink tickets, and really nice prizes. If you qualify to play on Wednesday, there is an additional $30 fee.
We always have a good showing of SWGA ladies at this event, but it would be great to see some new faces. Click on these links to see the entry form and complete details: http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dgnqpnzd_34c6nxfqhc&invite=889730812 and http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dgnqpnzd_368schscj&invite=1784649582 Entry deadline is June 7. For more information, you may also contact Cathy Campbell at 985-785-2502.
2017 SWGA playdays
- ALL OF THE EVENTS LISTED BELOW COUNT TOWARDS YOUR 100% PARTICIPATION RECOGNITION Except those marked with an (*)
- If you miss ONE required event, it can be replaced by ONE day of play in Team Matches
- March 15: Scramble at Southern Trace, 9:00am COMPLETED
- April 18: Playday at Stonebridge, 9:00am COMPLETED 41 Players
- May 16: Playday at Northwood, 9:00am, COMPLETED abt 48 players
- June 7: Playday at Querbes, 8:30am COMPLETED 27 players
- July 18: Playday at Eastridge, 9:00am COMPLETED 31 players
- August 17: Playday at Fox Run, 9:00am CANCELLED
- August 30-31: Team Matches, Huntington Park
- October 3-4: SWGA Championship, Northwood
- November 6: SWGA Turkey Scramble, Huntington Park, 9:00am
- December 5: SWGA/SSWGA Jingle Bell Scramble, Northwood, 10:00am, Bring a Toy
2017 SSWGA Events
- March 14: Stonebridge scramble, 9:00am COMPLETED
- May 31: rain makeup date for Querbes, 9:00am COMPLETED 16 players
- June 22: Eastridge playday, 9:00am
- July 11: Northwood playday, 9:00am COMPLETED 19 players
- July 20: Practice Rnd for championship, tee times needed
- July 26-27: Championship, Huntington Park, COMPLETED 13 players
- August 10: Crooked Hollow Playday, 9:00am, COMPLETED 21 players
- September 25: Playday at Fox Run, 9:00am
- October 19: Huntington Park Scramble, 9:00am
- November 16: Turkey Scramble, Southern Trace, 9:30am
Other LOCAL Events
2017 State/Southern Events
Other 2017 NON-LOCAL Golfing Events
- August 29-30: Diamonds in the Rough, 4-lady tournament, Hollytree CC, Tyler, TX
- September 12-14: Twice as Nice, Texarkana CC
- September 27-28: Squire Creek 2-Lady Tournament, Choudrant, LA
- October 7-8: Texarkana Couples Tourney, Texarkana CC, Texarkana
- October 8-9: Rayburn Country Lady Luck 2-Lady Tournament, Brookeland, TX (Lake Sam Rayburn)
- October 16-18: LaDiDa 2-Lady tournament, Crown Colony CC, Lufkin, TX