Monday, April 27, 2009
Write down the words ILLNESS and WELLNESS. Now, circle the part of each word that is different from the other word. Instantly, you can see (I)llness and (WE)llness.
Think about it. We really NEED other people in our lives…not just to prevent a room from being empty, but also to enhance and improve our own well being. When we feel that we are a part of a healthy, vital group of family and/or friends, we can’t help being energized by the same energy that abounds around us….if we allow it to happen.
The very day I heard this broadcast, I reflected on how many elderly ladies I know who seem to be thirty years younger than they really are. I think it’s their Wellness groups. They are actively involved with other people.
If I try to face things alone, without venting or sharing with others, then I begin to whither and become ill….maybe not physically, but mentally for sure. I went through about seven or eight years of that kind of people-isolation in the late ‘80s and early ‘90s, resulting in cancer that was at Stage 4 in 1995. They said I had only 5-7 years to live. It was a wake up call.
I have been so blessed in the last 10+ years by my adopted family, my bowling family, and most assuredly, my golfing family. My physical wellness is perhaps a bit shaky, although lots better than many, many others, but my mental wellness is strong and tremendously happy because of many of you that will be reading this.
Please forgive me for preaching, but I needed to share this concept with you and I wanted to thank you for being part of my “WEllness” program. Kathleen
Friday, April 24, 2009
First the bad news: There were only seven ladies who participated in the event, but that's about four better than last year.
Now, all the good news: All but one of the ladies are SWGA or former SWGA members.
In the 70-74 age group, Marge Snyder got the gold medal shooting a fantastic 83, and Barbara Offer took home the silver.
In the 60-64 age group, Susan Berry took gold, Kathleen McCoy got the silver, and Bobbie Almond won the bronze metal.
Three of the seven ladies qualified for the State Senior Olympics event to be held in the Baton Rouge area in October: Marge Snyder, Susan Berry, and Kathleen McCoy.
Tuesday, April 21, 2009
Because the winners will be participating in a rather lavish golf tournament in Florida, it is important that the scoring is ACCURATE; therefore, there is a need for at least 20 to 24 tournament “scorers”. A scorer will walk with a foursome to keep score and tally the drives used. This is necessary since the rules require that each golfer’s drive is used a specific number of times during the round.
If walking is a problem and it is known in advance, a private cart can be secured, or one scorer can walk just 9 holes while another walks the remaining 9. Most of the time, the team will invite the scorer to ride and/or there is a player that likes to walk, allowing a spot for the scorer to ride.
It will be a long day for the volunteers, starting at 11:30am with a meeting and lunch, followed by the shotgun start at 1:00pm. Even the meeting and lunch is flexible however.
As a thank you for the volunteers, Southern Trace is giving a free round of golf to each scorer as well as lunch, award ceremony banquet, and beverages on the course. Scorers can also participate in the raffles and silent auctions. Keep in mind that your spouses can also volunteer.
If you are interested or need more information, contact Mary Coker at 798-6261 or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org by June 8th.
Saturday, April 18, 2009
The 4-lady scramble format will be flighted by handicap index, with a maximum of 15 strokes between lowest and highest handicaps. There is an individual player handicap limit of 36 and players 73 and over with a handicap index of 28 or higher may choose to hit from the senior tees.
The $320 per team entry fee includes the practice round (but not the cart), continental breakfast on tournament day, and the awards luncheon.
Tee times for the practice round can be scheduled by calling the Pro Shop after June 17th at (318) 747-2004.
On tournament day, registration and breakfast starts at 7:30am, with a shotgun start to follow at 9:00am.
If you would like an application, please contact Linda Heins at (318) 742-8913 or Mary Jo Gray at (318) 742-4554.
In addition, if you don't have a full team and would like help filling a team, let Linda or Mary Jo know, and more than likely, a team can be found for you.
Let's make Nikki's tournament a LARGE success!
Friday, April 17, 2009
Of those, we had one set of winners. Donna Cobb and Kathleen McCoy (that would be me) won first place in our flight with a score of 76. We were ecstatic to win. It would have been wonderful fun, even without the win, but that Dillards Gift Card made it even better.
If you've never been to one of the Wine & Roses tournaments, you've missed alot of good entertainment, wine, and good food. At the awards luncheon, there are all sorts of homemade cakes that everyone gets to sample, not to mention the wine, which everyone gets as a gift. Check out some of these cakes:
GROSS: Marge Snyder
NET: Jimmie Zey
PUTTS: Kathleen McCoy
GROSS: Sherry Barnes
NET: (TIE) Jeanie Ward & Gayle Gansfuss
PUTTS: Susan Berry
GROSS: Mary Murray
NET: Janet Sabo
PUTTS: Sue Gilley
Friday, April 10, 2009
Since Thursday was to be our SWGA playday at Fox Run, it has been cancelled. The Barksdale Golf Course was badly damaged by storms last night causing 50 trees to be uprooted and damaged.
According to our Events Chairman Donna Phillips, it has been decided to play our scheduled playdays as they stand now and reschedule our playday at Barksdale Golf Course at a future date.
Wednesday, April 8, 2009
Championship Flight: Mary Jo Gray, 1st Low Net; Second Flight: Donna Cobb, 2nd Low Gross; Third Flight: Kathleen McCoy, 1st Low Gross and Charlotte Calhoun, 2nd Low Gross; Fourth Flight: Martha Lawhorne, 2nd Low Gross.
The course at Oakwing was in great shape, with lightning fast greens and lots of newly renovated sand traps (that I got to look at up close and personal). The personnel were extremely helpful and the food was great. Can't wait till next year!!!!
Friday, April 3, 2009
2017 SWGA playdays
- ALL OF THE EVENTS LISTED BELOW COUNT TOWARDS YOUR 100% PARTICIPATION RECOGNITION Except those marked with an (*)
- If you miss ONE required event, it can be replaced by ONE day of play in Team Matches
- March 15: Scramble at Southern Trace, 9:00am COMPLETED
- April 18: Playday at Stonebridge, 9:00am COMPLETED 41 Players
- May 16: Playday at Northwood, 9:00am, COMPLETED abt 48 players
- June 7: Playday at Querbes, 9:00am
- July 18: Playday at Eastridge, 9:00am
- August 17: Playday at Fox Run, 9:00am
- August 30-31: Team Matches, Fox Run
- October 3-4: SWGA Championship, Northwood
- November 6: SWGA Turkey Scramble, Huntington Park, 9:00am
- December 5: SWGA/SSWGA Jingle Bell Scramble, Northwood, 10:00am, Bring a Toy
2017 SSWGA Events
- March 14: Stonebridge scramble, 9:00am COMPLETED
- April 26: Querbes playday, 9:00am
- May 31: rain makeup date for Querbes, 9:00am
- June 22: Eastridge playday, 9:00am
- July 11: Northwood playday, 9:00am
- July 20: Practice Rnd for championship, tee times needed
- July 26-27: Championship, Fox Run
- August 10: Crooked Hollow Playday, 9:00am
- September 25: Playday at Fox Run, 9:00am
- October 19: Huntington Park Scramble, 9:00am
- November 16: Turkey Scramble, Southern Trace, 9:30am
Other LOCAL Events
2017 State/Southern Events
- June 25-28: State Match Play Championship, Lake Charles CC, Lake Charles, LA
- August 6-8: State 4-Ball Championship, Koasati Pines GC, Kinder, LA
- October 8-11: Southern Seniors' Championship, The Omni Homestead Resort, Cascades Course, Hot Springs, VA
- October 20-22: State Senior and Mid-Am Championship, LeTriomphe CC, Broussard, LA
Other 2017 NON-LOCAL Golfing Events
- May 9: Contraband Invitational, 2-lady scramble, Mallard Cove CC, Lake Charles, LA
- September 5-6: Diamonds in the Rough, 4-lady tournament, Hollytree CC, Tyler, TX
- September 12-14: Twice as Nice, Texarkana CC
- September 27-28: Squire Creek 2-Lady Tournament, Choudrant, LA
- October 7-8: Texarkana Couples Tourney, Texarkana CC, Texarkana
- October 8-9: Rayburn Country Lady Luck 2-Lady Tournament, Brookeland, TX (Lake Sam Rayburn)
- October 16-18: LaDiDa 2-Lady tournament, Crown Colony CC, Lufkin, TX