I was on the road recently (as usual) and heard an interesting interview with a writer named Debbie Ford. One of the points she mentioned really stole my attention and has me pondering it ever since. It involves a simple exercise:
Write down the words ILLNESS and WELLNESS. Now, circle the part of each word that is different from the other word. Instantly, you can see (I)llness and (WE)llness.
Think about it. We really NEED other people in our lives…not just to prevent a room from being empty, but also to enhance and improve our own well being. When we feel that we are a part of a healthy, vital group of family and/or friends, we can’t help being energized by the same energy that abounds around us….if we allow it to happen.
The very day I heard this broadcast, I reflected on how many elderly ladies I know who seem to be thirty years younger than they really are. I think it’s their Wellness groups. They are actively involved with other people.
If I try to face things alone, without venting or sharing with others, then I begin to whither and become ill….maybe not physically, but mentally for sure. I went through about seven or eight years of that kind of people-isolation in the late ‘80s and early ‘90s, resulting in cancer that was at Stage 4 in 1995. They said I had only 5-7 years to live. It was a wake up call.
I have been so blessed in the last 10+ years by my adopted family, my bowling family, and most assuredly, my golfing family. My physical wellness is perhaps a bit shaky, although lots better than many, many others, but my mental wellness is strong and tremendously happy because of many of you that will be reading this.
Please forgive me for preaching, but I needed to share this concept with you and I wanted to thank you for being part of my “WEllness” program. Kathleen
PLEASE GO TO THE BOTTOM OF THIS COLUMN TO SEE LISTINGS OF ALL KNOWN GOLFING EVENTS, BOTH LOCAL AND NON-LOCAL.
2018 SWGA playdays
- ALL OF THE EVENTS LISTED BELOW COUNT TOWARDS YOUR 100% PARTICIPATION RECOGNITION Except those marked with an (*)
- If you miss ONE required event, it can be replaced by ONE day of play in Team Matches
- March 6: Scramble at Eastridge CC, 9:00am COMPLETED 50 PLAYERS
- April 10: Playday at Stonebridge, 9:00am COMPLETED 43 players
- May 22: Playday at Northwood, 9:00am COMPLTED 29 PLAYERS
- June 7: Playday at Huntington Park, 9:00am COMPLETED 28 players
- July 24: Playday at Southern Trace CC, 9:00am COMPLETED 31 players
- *August 7: Scramble at Southern Trace. This is a chance to make-up one missed event to count towards 100% participation since there willl be no Team Matches this year COMPLETED 28 players
- August 16: Playday at Fox Run GC (also practice round for Championship), 9:00am COMPLETED 29 players
- August 23-24: SWGA Championship, Fox Run GC, 9:00am COMPLETED 33 players
- *November 8: SWGA Turkey Scramble, Querbes Park, 9:30am
- *December 4: SWGA/SSWGA Jingle Bell Scramble, Northwood, 10:00am, Bring a Toy
2018 SSWGA Events
- Dates marked with (*) do not count toward 100% participation
- *March 13: Stonebridge scramble, 9:00am COMPLETED 28 Players
- April 26: BWGA playday at Huntington, 9:00am COMPLETED 18 players
- May 1: East Ridge CC, 9:00am COMPLETED 30 players
- June 19: Southern Trace CC, 9:00am COMPLETED 26 players
- July 10: Northwood Hills GC, 9:00am COMPLETED 25 players
- July 17-18: Championship, Stonebridge CC COMPLETED 17 players
- September 6: Fox Run GC, 9:00am, COMPLETED 17 players
- *November 15: Turkey Scramble, Crooked Hollow GC, 9:30am, $37 includes lunch. This is also annual meeting unless this is changed.
- *December 4: Jingle Belle Scramble, Northwood Hills GC, 10:00am, bring unwrapped toy