About three years ago one of my golfing friends told me about the State Amateur Championship. I thought to myself: "I'm not good enough to participate against all those GREAT golfers." But because I'm always UP for a road trip, I decided to try it.
It was GREAT! I soon found out that I wasn't competing against all those GREAT golfers. I was competing with folks like myself. In fact, the first year I went, I was competing against Martha Lawhorne, who is one of my regular golfing buddies with a similar handicap. It would have been more fun if we hadn't had to compete against each other, where one of us had to lose, but other than that, it was great fun.
If you've never played match play, it's really a great format. You can really screw up a hole and still be a viable competitor. And the LWGA ladies really put on great tournaments. The food, fun, golf course, and prizes are really supurb.
Again this year the tournament is at Koasati Pines in Kinder, LA. Practice round and registration is Sunday, June 14, with the first round of match play on Monday, June 15. If you win on the first day, you play again in the winners' bracket on June 16. If you lost on the first day, you move to the losers' bracket. If you lose on the second day, you are eliminated. If you win on the second day in either bracket, you play on Wednesday, June 17th.
Entry fee is $140 and includes two days of golf with cart (practice round is additional $30), range balls, welcome dinner on Sunday evening, lunch and drink tickets, and really nice prizes. If you qualify to play on Wednesday, there is an additional $30 fee.
We always have a good showing of SWGA ladies at this event, but it would be great to see some new faces. Click on these links to see the entry form and complete details: http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dgnqpnzd_34c6nxfqhc&invite=889730812 and http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dgnqpnzd_368schscj&invite=1784649582 Entry deadline is June 7. For more information, you may also contact Cathy Campbell at 985-785-2502.
PLEASE GO TO THE BOTTOM OF THIS COLUMN TO SEE LISTINGS OF ALL KNOWN GOLFING EVENTS, BOTH LOCAL AND NON-LOCAL.
2018 SWGA playdays
- ALL OF THE EVENTS LISTED BELOW COUNT TOWARDS YOUR 100% PARTICIPATION RECOGNITION Except those marked with an (*)
- If you miss ONE required event, it can be replaced by ONE day of play in Team Matches
- March 6: Scramble at Eastridge CC, 9:00am COMPLETED 50 PLAYERS
- April 10: Playday at Stonebridge, 9:00am COMPLETED 43 players
- May 22: Playday at Northwood, 9:00am COMPLTED 29 PLAYERS
- June 7: Playday at Huntington Park, 9:00am COMPLETED 28 players
- July 24: Playday at Southern Trace CC, 9:00am COMPLETED 31 players
- *August 7: Scramble at Southern Trace. This is a chance to make-up one missed event to count towards 100% participation since there willl be no Team Matches this year COMPLETED 28 players
- August 16: Playday at Fox Run GC (also practice round for Championship), 9:00am COMPLETED 29 players
- August 23-24: SWGA Championship, Fox Run GC, 9:00am COMPLETED 33 players
- *November 8: SWGA Turkey Scramble, Querbes Park, 9:30am
- *December 4: SWGA/SSWGA Jingle Bell Scramble, Northwood, 10:00am, Bring a Toy
2018 SSWGA Events
- Dates marked with (*) do not count toward 100% participation
- *March 13: Stonebridge scramble, 9:00am COMPLETED 28 Players
- April 26: BWGA playday at Huntington, 9:00am COMPLETED 18 players
- May 1: East Ridge CC, 9:00am COMPLETED 30 players
- June 19: Southern Trace CC, 9:00am COMPLETED 26 players
- July 10: Northwood Hills GC, 9:00am COMPLETED 25 players
- July 17-18: Championship, Stonebridge CC COMPLETED 17 players
- September 6: Fox Run GC, 9:00am, COMPLETED 17 players
- *November 15: Turkey Scramble, Crooked Hollow GC, 9:30am, $37 includes lunch. This is also annual meeting unless this is changed.
- *December 4: Jingle Belle Scramble, Northwood Hills GC, 10:00am, bring unwrapped toy