PLEASE GO TO THE BOTTOM OF THIS COLUMN TO SEE LISTINGS OF ALL KNOWN GOLFING EVENTS, BOTH LOCAL AND NON-LOCAL.
Friday, August 30, 2013
Mystic Creek Golf Club
For the 99.9% of you who have never heard of this course, I wanted to share a little information about this "gem" of a course located in El Dorado, AR, just two hours from downtown Shreveport and due north of Ruston.
We heard about the course from a golfing buddy who recommended it highly, and he was right. It's still a "work in progress". As we neared what the GPS told us was our turn to the course, all there was to indicate a golf course was a sign that said "Golf Course" and an arrow pointing down a dirt road. Hmmmm. Not looking so great.
We turned down the dirt road and then into a big, concrete parking lot with large planting areas that were unplanted and a tiny white metal building, seemingly lost in the expanse of space. And we're thinking "are we REALLY fixing to pay $75 to play THIS?" And then we topped the hill and saw the course....
IT IS BEAUTIFUL! There isn't a flat spot on the course except for the six sets of tee boxes on every hole. The distances range from 5100 yards to 7400 yards (yikes). The course just opened in May, but instead of seeding it for the grass, it was totally sodded from the beginning. Looks like it's been there for years. And it IS challenging with the rolling terrain. To check out their site, click here.
Right now, the price to play is $75, no matter what time of day, how old you are, or what day of the week it is. It includes range balls and lots of practice areas, including sand trap practice. The only break in price is if you get a group together and it can come down to $50 if you have twenty.
When this place is finished, it's going to be fabulous. If you want to make a short "day trip" for some exciting golf, take a little trip up to El Dorado, Ar. It will be beautiful in the Fall!
at 9:12 AM
2018 SWGA playdays
- ALL OF THE EVENTS LISTED BELOW COUNT TOWARDS YOUR 100% PARTICIPATION RECOGNITION Except those marked with an (*)
- If you miss ONE required event, it can be replaced by ONE day of play in Team Matches
- March 6: Scramble at Eastridge CC, 9:00am COMPLETED 50 PLAYERS
- April 10: Playday at Stonebridge, 9:00am
- May 22: Playday at Northwood, 9:00am
- June 7: Playday at Huntington Park, 9:00am
- June 21: Rain date for Huntington
- July 24: Playday at Southern Trace CC, 9:00am
- *August 7: Scramble at Southern Trace. This is a chance to make-up one missed event to count towards 100% participation since there willl be no Team Matches this year
- August 16: Playday at Fox Run GC (also practice round for Championship), 9:00am
- August 23-24: SWGA Championship, Fox Run GC, 9:00am
- *November 8: SWGA Turkey Scramble, Querbes Park, 9:30am
- *December 4: SWGA/SSWGA Jingle Bell Scramble, Northwood, 10:00am, Bring a Toy
2018 SSWGA Events
- Dates marked with (*) do not count toward 100% participation
- *March 13: Stonebridge scramble, 9:00am COMPLETED 28 Players
- April 26: BWGA playday at Huntington, 9:00am
- May 1: East Ridge CC, 9:00am
- June 19: Southern Trace CC, 9:00am
- July 10: Northwood Hills GC, 9:00am
- July 17-18: Championship, Stonebridge CC
- September 6: Fox Run GC, 9:00am
- *November 15: Turkey Scramble, Crooked Hollow GC, 9:30am, $37 includes lunch. This is also annual meeting unless this is changed.
- *December 4: Jingle Belle Scramble, Northwood Hills GC, 10:00am, bring unwrapped toy
Other 2018 LOCAL Events
- May 15-17: (NEW) "The Tradition" 2-Lady Tourney, Golf Club at Stonebridge, Benton, LA
- June 8-10: Stonebridge Couples Tournament, Golf Club at Stonebridge, Benton, LA
- June 22-24: Bonnie & Clyde Couples Tournament, Northwood Hills GC, Blanchard, LA
- September 18-19: Southern Belle, 2-Lady Tourney, Southern Trace CC, Shreveport, LA
- October 24-25: Roadrunner 2-Lady Tournament, Eastridge CC, Shreveport, LA
2018 State/Southern Events
Other 2018 NON-LOCAL Golfing Events
- May 31-June 2: Hot Springs Couples Tournament, Hot Springs Village, AR
- June 2: Queen for a Day, 2-Lady Scramble, Tallulah CC, Tallulah, LA
- June 16: Matthew Elliott Memorial Scramble, Frenchman's Bend GC, Monroe, LA 1:30pm
- August 8: Diamonds in the Rough, 4-lady tournament, Hollytree CC, Tyler, TX
- September 11-13: Twice as Nice Ladies Tourney, Texarkana CC, Texarkana, AR
- September 26-27: Squire Creek 2-Lady Tournament, Squire Creek CC, Choudrant, LA
- October 6-7: Texarkana Couples Tourney, Texarkana CC, Texarkana, AR