PLEASE GO TO THE BOTTOM OF THIS COLUMN TO SEE LISTINGS OF ALL KNOWN GOLFING EVENTS, BOTH LOCAL AND NON-LOCAL.
Saturday, December 7, 2013
" I wish I could play football....."
We don’t often get a chance to see GOOD news stories, so I want to share one with you.
On Sunday evening, November 24th, my friend and our fellow golfer, Nancy Young, emailed me that she needed me to help with a “project”. The timeline was short. We would have to hurry. This is the letter we put together and Nancy emailed to several LSU Sports managers Monday, November 25:
“I am on a mission: a “pay it forward” mission. And I need your help.
“I am a teacher at Airline High School in Bossier City, LA, as well as owner of my own business to help place “special needs” people into productive vocations. One of my students at Airline is a HUGE LSU football fan. Her name is Abbie Browning.
“Abbie and her family have been season ticket holders for 15 years, in spite of the fact that Abbie has Cerebal Palsy, must use a power wheelchair, and has limited use of her arms.
“A few weeks ago, Coach Miles was in Bossier City visiting with a player from Parkway High School. Abbie knew he had been here and started a conversation with me about how she wished SHE could play football so SHE could meet Coach Miles! It is truly an item at the very top of her “bucket list”.
“Abbie will turn eighteen on November 29th and will be at the LSU/Arkansas game.
“And this is where I need your help. Is there ANY WAY that you know of where it could be arranged for Coach Miles to meet Abbie? It would be the highlight of her life and something she would remember as long as she lives.”
Now we had to wait. And then at about 5:00pm on Wednesday, November 27, just two days after the first email was sent, I got this simple and exciting text: “WE DID IT!” Nancy had gotten a response from the LSU Info Director that Coach Miles would be thrilled to meet with Abbie prior to the LSU/Arkansas game on Friday, November 29th. In just FOUR days, a dream became a reality. This picture says it all:
Thank you Nancy for taking the time to TRY to do something that seemed un-do-able. The world needs more Nancys!
at 5:47 PM
2018 SWGA playdays
- ALL OF THE EVENTS LISTED BELOW COUNT TOWARDS YOUR 100% PARTICIPATION RECOGNITION Except those marked with an (*)
- If you miss ONE required event, it can be replaced by ONE day of play in Team Matches
- March 6: Scramble at Eastridge CC, 9:00am COMPLETED 50 PLAYERS
- April 10: Playday at Stonebridge, 9:00am COMPLETED 43 players
- May 22: Playday at Northwood, 9:00am COMPLTED 29 PLAYERS
- June 7: Playday at Huntington Park, 9:00am COMPLETED 28 players
- July 24: Playday at Southern Trace CC, 9:00am
- *August 7: Scramble at Southern Trace. This is a chance to make-up one missed event to count towards 100% participation since there willl be no Team Matches this year
- August 16: Playday at Fox Run GC (also practice round for Championship), 9:00am
- August 23-24: SWGA Championship, Fox Run GC, 9:00am
- *November 8: SWGA Turkey Scramble, Querbes Park, 9:30am
- *December 4: SWGA/SSWGA Jingle Bell Scramble, Northwood, 10:00am, Bring a Toy
2018 SSWGA Events
- Dates marked with (*) do not count toward 100% participation
- *March 13: Stonebridge scramble, 9:00am COMPLETED 28 Players
- April 26: BWGA playday at Huntington, 9:00am COMPLETED 18 players
- May 1: East Ridge CC, 9:00am COMPLETED 30 players
- June 19: Southern Trace CC, 9:00am COMPLETED 26 players
- July 10: Northwood Hills GC, 9:00am
- July 17-18: Championship, Stonebridge CC
- September 6: Fox Run GC, 9:00am
- *November 15: Turkey Scramble, Crooked Hollow GC, 9:30am, $37 includes lunch. This is also annual meeting unless this is changed.
- *December 4: Jingle Belle Scramble, Northwood Hills GC, 10:00am, bring unwrapped toy