I was watching “The Golf Fix” this evening and saw something that I thought I should share with those of you who perhaps didn’t see it. This deals with speeding the pace of play.
With the hot golf season upon us, we need to reduce the amount of time we’re out in that heat. Five to five and one-half hours on the course is simply too long. What can we do to speed the pace?
First of all, don’t sit in the cart and simply “observe” your cart partner hitting the ball. If you are anywhere reasonably close, proceed to your ball, determine what club you need, take your practice swings…..be ready to hit as soon as your cart partner is finished. I’ve seen many, many instances of ladies sitting in the cart waiting for it to be driven up ten yards to their ball. We’ve played this game long enough to “guesstimate” about how many yards closer our ball may be from where we are currently sitting. Don’t be afraid to walk a few yards to your ball. We can all use the exercise.
Once you’ve hit your ball, get in the cart and go. Put your headcover back on your club while you’re in the cart or waiting on your cart partner to hit. This is a hard one for me, so I know it’s not an easy habit to break, but I also know it saves time.
The hottest spots on the course are on the greens. If it’s feasible for you to putt out without stopping to mark your ball, this saves time. If you need to study the putt, it’s totally reasonable to mark it. We don’t want you to rush, but if you feel comfortable, putt out. And if you are first to finish on the green, be the flag retriever so it’s ready to return to the hole as soon as the last person putts….and you can get out of the heat sooner.
If it sounds like I’m preaching, I don’t intend to sound that way. I think we ALL want to speed play, and these are just a few ideas. If you have ideas of your own, let me know and I’ll add them to the list. And when you see me holding up the cart while I put away my clubs, call it to my attention. I’ll need help to remember.
PLEASE GO TO THE BOTTOM OF THIS COLUMN TO SEE LISTINGS OF ALL KNOWN GOLFING EVENTS, BOTH LOCAL AND NON-LOCAL.
2018 SWGA playdays
- ALL OF THE EVENTS LISTED BELOW COUNT TOWARDS YOUR 100% PARTICIPATION RECOGNITION Except those marked with an (*)
- If you miss ONE required event, it can be replaced by ONE day of play in Team Matches
- March 6: Scramble at Eastridge CC, 9:00am COMPLETED 50 PLAYERS
- April 10: Playday at Stonebridge, 9:00am COMPLETED 43 players
- May 22: Playday at Northwood, 9:00am
- June 7: Playday at Huntington Park, 9:00am
- June 21: Rain date for Huntington
- July 24: Playday at Southern Trace CC, 9:00am
- *August 7: Scramble at Southern Trace. This is a chance to make-up one missed event to count towards 100% participation since there willl be no Team Matches this year
- August 16: Playday at Fox Run GC (also practice round for Championship), 9:00am
- August 23-24: SWGA Championship, Fox Run GC, 9:00am
- *November 8: SWGA Turkey Scramble, Querbes Park, 9:30am
- *December 4: SWGA/SSWGA Jingle Bell Scramble, Northwood, 10:00am, Bring a Toy
2018 SSWGA Events
- Dates marked with (*) do not count toward 100% participation
- *March 13: Stonebridge scramble, 9:00am COMPLETED 28 Players
- April 26: BWGA playday at Huntington, 9:00am COMPLETED 18 players
- May 1: East Ridge CC, 9:00am COMPLETED 30 players
- June 19: Southern Trace CC, 9:00am
- July 10: Northwood Hills GC, 9:00am
- July 17-18: Championship, Stonebridge CC
- September 6: Fox Run GC, 9:00am
- *November 15: Turkey Scramble, Crooked Hollow GC, 9:30am, $37 includes lunch. This is also annual meeting unless this is changed.
- *December 4: Jingle Belle Scramble, Northwood Hills GC, 10:00am, bring unwrapped toy
Other 2018 LOCAL Events
- May 15-17: (NEW) "The Tradition" 2-Lady Tourney, Golf Club at Stonebridge, Benton, LA
- June 8-10: Stonebridge Couples Tournament, Golf Club at Stonebridge, Benton, LA
- June 22-24: Bonnie & Clyde Couples Tournament, Northwood Hills GC, Blanchard, LA
- September 18-19: Southern Belle, 2-Lady Tourney, Southern Trace CC, Shreveport, LA
- October 24-25: Roadrunner 2-Lady Tournament, Eastridge CC, Shreveport, LA
2018 State/Southern Events
Other 2018 NON-LOCAL Golfing Events
- May 31-June 2: Hot Springs Couples Tournament, Hot Springs Village, AR
- June 2: Queen for a Day, 2-Lady Scramble, Tallulah CC, Tallulah, LA
- June 16: Matthew Elliott Memorial Scramble, Frenchman's Bend GC, Monroe, LA 1:30pm
- August 8: Diamonds in the Rough, 4-lady tournament, Hollytree CC, Tyler, TX
- September 11-13: Twice as Nice Ladies Tourney, Texarkana CC, Texarkana, AR
- September 26-27: Squire Creek 2-Lady Tournament, Squire Creek CC, Choudrant, LA
- October 6-7: Texarkana Couples Tourney, Texarkana CC, Texarkana, AR