PLEASE GO TO THE BOTTOM OF THIS COLUMN TO SEE LISTINGS OF ALL KNOWN GOLFING EVENTS, BOTH LOCAL AND NON-LOCAL.
Thursday, May 8, 2014
Southern Trace Country Club was filled with lady golfers on May 6-7 as 114 ladies participated in the Southern Belle 2-lady invitational. This is probably one of the most value-packed tournaments in our whole area with two days of golf on a beautiful course with lighting-fast greens, good food and entertainment, excellent coordination, wonderful tee gifts, and thought-provoked awards.
Special events included closest to the hole, straightest drive and best dressed. See the pictures for all the winners.
The format of shamble best ball on the front nine and regular scramble on the back nine makes for a challenging, yet fun-filled day of golf. When the scores were tabulated, one of Southern Trace’s own ladies and her partner were the overall gross winners with a super score of 68. Kathy Davis and partner Amy Johnson were elated over their win as you can tell when you look at the slideshow presentation.
And just behind Kathy and Amy by just one stroke gross with a 69 were the overall net winners Kim Darnell of Stonebridge and partner Tammy Trichell with the 63.1 low net score of the day. Congratulations ladies!
The Putting Contest was a big hit this year with a lot of activity on the putting green. There was a single putt, about 45-50 foot long. Each team had a chance to putt and the distance from the hole was measured and added together. The team with the shortest combined distance were the winners: Shirley Pettitt and Kathleen McCoy with just over 5 feet distance.
We want to give a special thanks to all the sponsors of the event, especially Jimmy Granger Ford, who made this tournament so rewarding. Once again this year, tee gifts were very nice Nike golf shoes. As my partner and I played through the day, each time we made a less-than-desirable score, we simply said “but we got SHOES!” It helped us keep a fun attitude and winning spirit, even when we knew we weren’t winning…..because “we got SHOES!”
And speaking of shoes, one of our local golfers, Gayle Gansfuss from Eastridge CC, sends out a message to all of you Size 8 ladies: if you find a sock in your shoe box, it’s hers and she would love to have it back. Somehow her shoe box got switched with someone else’s. I’m sure that’s just one of many fun stories that happened during this event. If you know of others, let me know and I’ll add them.
Have fun looking through the slideshow presentation. Hope you see yourself somewhere.
at 7:37 PM
2018 SWGA playdays
- ALL OF THE EVENTS LISTED BELOW COUNT TOWARDS YOUR 100% PARTICIPATION RECOGNITION Except those marked with an (*)
- If you miss ONE required event, it can be replaced by ONE day of play in Team Matches
- March 6: Scramble at Eastridge CC, 9:00am COMPLETED 50 PLAYERS
- April 10: Playday at Stonebridge, 9:00am
- May 22: Playday at Northwood, 9:00am
- June 7: Playday at Huntington Park, 9:00am
- June 21: Rain date for Huntington
- July 24: Playday at Southern Trace CC, 9:00am
- *August 7: Scramble at Southern Trace. This is a chance to make-up one missed event to count towards 100% participation since there willl be no Team Matches this year
- August 16: Playday at Fox Run GC (also practice round for Championship), 9:00am
- August 23-24: SWGA Championship, Fox Run GC, 9:00am
- *November 8: SWGA Turkey Scramble, Querbes Park, 9:30am
- *December 4: SWGA/SSWGA Jingle Bell Scramble, Northwood, 10:00am, Bring a Toy
2018 SSWGA Events
- Dates marked with (*) do not count toward 100% participation
- *March 13: Stonebridge scramble, 9:00am COMPLETED 28 Players
- April 26: BWGA playday at Huntington, 9:00am
- May 1: East Ridge CC, 9:00am
- June 19: Southern Trace CC, 9:00am
- July 10: Northwood Hills GC, 9:00am
- July 17-18: Championship, Stonebridge CC
- September 6: Fox Run GC, 9:00am
- *November 15: Turkey Scramble, Crooked Hollow GC, 9:30am, $37 includes lunch. This is also annual meeting unless this is changed.
- *December 4: Jingle Belle Scramble, Northwood Hills GC, 10:00am, bring unwrapped toy
Other 2018 LOCAL Events
- May 15-17: (NEW) "The Tradition" 2-Lady Tourney, Golf Club at Stonebridge, Benton, LA
- June 8-10: Stonebridge Couples Tournament, Golf Club at Stonebridge, Benton, LA
- June 22-24: Bonnie & Clyde Couples Tournament, Northwood Hills GC, Blanchard, LA
- September 18-19: Southern Belle, 2-Lady Tourney, Southern Trace CC, Shreveport, LA
- October 24-25: Roadrunner 2-Lady Tournament, Eastridge CC, Shreveport, LA
2018 State/Southern Events
Other 2018 NON-LOCAL Golfing Events
- May 31-June 2: Hot Springs Couples Tournament, Hot Springs Village, AR
- June 2: Queen for a Day, 2-Lady Scramble, Tallulah CC, Tallulah, LA
- June 16: Matthew Elliott Memorial Scramble, Frenchman's Bend GC, Monroe, LA 1:30pm
- August 8: Diamonds in the Rough, 4-lady tournament, Hollytree CC, Tyler, TX
- September 11-13: Twice as Nice Ladies Tourney, Texarkana CC, Texarkana, AR
- September 26-27: Squire Creek 2-Lady Tournament, Squire Creek CC, Choudrant, LA
- October 6-7: Texarkana Couples Tourney, Texarkana CC, Texarkana, AR