PLEASE GO TO THE BOTTOM OF THIS COLUMN TO SEE LISTINGS OF ALL KNOWN GOLFING EVENTS, BOTH LOCAL AND NON-LOCAL.
Monday, May 18, 2015
A friend recently sent me this, and I think it reflects what many of us experience, even if we aren't aware of it at the time. It starts slow, but hang in there. You'll get something out of it........
In an evening class at Stanford University , the last lecture was on the mind-body connection -- the relationship between stress and disease.
The speaker (head of psychiatry at Stanford) said, among other things, that one of the best things that a man could do for his health is to be married to a woman ... where as for a woman, one of the best things she could do for her health was to nurture her relationships with her girlfriends.
At first everyone laughed, but he was serious. Women connect with each other differently and provide support systems that help each other to deal with stress and difficult life experiences. Physically, this quality "girlfriend time" helps us to create more serotonin -- a neurotransmitter that helps combat depression and can create a general feeling of well being.
Women share feelings, whereas men often form relationships around activities. We share from our souls with our sisters/mothers, and evidently that is very GOOD for our health. He said that spending time with a friend is just as important to our general health as jogging or working out at a gym.
There's a tendency to think that when we are "exercising" we are doing something good for our bodies, but when we are hanging out with friends, we are wasting our time and should be more productively engaged? Not true. In fact, he said that failure to create and maintain quality personal
relationships with other humans is as dangerous to our physical health as smoking!
So every time you hang out to schmooze with a gal pal, just pat yourself on the back and congratulate yourself for doing something good for your health! We are indeed very, very lucky. Sooooo let's toast to our friendship with our girlfriends. Evidently it's very good for our health and happiness!
at 9:39 AM
2017 SWGA playdays
- ALL OF THE EVENTS LISTED BELOW COUNT TOWARDS YOUR 100% PARTICIPATION RECOGNITION Except those marked with an (*)
- If you miss ONE required event, it can be replaced by ONE day of play in Team Matches
- March 15: Scramble at Southern Trace, 9:00am COMPLETED
- April 18: Playday at Stonebridge, 9:00am COMPLETED 41 Players
- May 16: Playday at Northwood, 9:00am, COMPLETED abt 48 players
- June 7: Playday at Querbes, 8:30am COMPLETED 27 players
- July 18: Playday at Eastridge, 9:00am COMPLETED 31 players
- August 17: Playday at Fox Run, 9:00am CANCELLED
- August 30-31: Team Matches, Huntington Park
- October 3-4: SWGA Championship, Northwood
- November 6: SWGA Turkey Scramble, Huntington Park, 9:00am
- December 5: SWGA/SSWGA Jingle Bell Scramble, Northwood, 10:00am, Bring a Toy
2017 SSWGA Events
- March 14: Stonebridge scramble, 9:00am COMPLETED
- May 31: rain makeup date for Querbes, 9:00am COMPLETED 16 players
- June 22: Eastridge playday, 9:00am
- July 11: Northwood playday, 9:00am COMPLETED 19 players
- July 20: Practice Rnd for championship, tee times needed
- July 26-27: Championship, Huntington Park, COMPLETED 13 players
- August 10: Crooked Hollow Playday, 9:00am, COMPLETED 21 players
- September 25: Playday at Fox Run, 9:00am
- October 19: Huntington Park Scramble, 9:00am
- November 16: Turkey Scramble, Southern Trace, 9:30am
Other LOCAL Events
2017 State/Southern Events
Other 2017 NON-LOCAL Golfing Events
- August 29-30: Diamonds in the Rough, 4-lady tournament, Hollytree CC, Tyler, TX
- September 12-14: Twice as Nice, Texarkana CC
- September 27-28: Squire Creek 2-Lady Tournament, Choudrant, LA
- October 7-8: Texarkana Couples Tourney, Texarkana CC, Texarkana
- October 8-9: Rayburn Country Lady Luck 2-Lady Tournament, Brookeland, TX (Lake Sam Rayburn)
- October 16-18: LaDiDa 2-Lady tournament, Crown Colony CC, Lufkin, TX