PLEASE GO TO THE BOTTOM OF THIS COLUMN TO SEE LISTINGS OF ALL KNOWN GOLFING EVENTS, BOTH LOCAL AND NON-LOCAL.
Monday, May 18, 2015
A friend recently sent me this, and I think it reflects what many of us experience, even if we aren't aware of it at the time. It starts slow, but hang in there. You'll get something out of it........
In an evening class at Stanford University , the last lecture was on the mind-body connection -- the relationship between stress and disease.
The speaker (head of psychiatry at Stanford) said, among other things, that one of the best things that a man could do for his health is to be married to a woman ... where as for a woman, one of the best things she could do for her health was to nurture her relationships with her girlfriends.
At first everyone laughed, but he was serious. Women connect with each other differently and provide support systems that help each other to deal with stress and difficult life experiences. Physically, this quality "girlfriend time" helps us to create more serotonin -- a neurotransmitter that helps combat depression and can create a general feeling of well being.
Women share feelings, whereas men often form relationships around activities. We share from our souls with our sisters/mothers, and evidently that is very GOOD for our health. He said that spending time with a friend is just as important to our general health as jogging or working out at a gym.
There's a tendency to think that when we are "exercising" we are doing something good for our bodies, but when we are hanging out with friends, we are wasting our time and should be more productively engaged? Not true. In fact, he said that failure to create and maintain quality personal
relationships with other humans is as dangerous to our physical health as smoking!
So every time you hang out to schmooze with a gal pal, just pat yourself on the back and congratulate yourself for doing something good for your health! We are indeed very, very lucky. Sooooo let's toast to our friendship with our girlfriends. Evidently it's very good for our health and happiness!
at 9:39 AM
2018 SWGA playdays
- ALL OF THE EVENTS LISTED BELOW COUNT TOWARDS YOUR 100% PARTICIPATION RECOGNITION Except those marked with an (*)
- If you miss ONE required event, it can be replaced by ONE day of play in Team Matches
- March 6: Scramble at Eastridge CC, 9:00am COMPLETED 50 PLAYERS
- April 10: Playday at Stonebridge, 9:00am
- May 22: Playday at Northwood, 9:00am
- June 7: Playday at Huntington Park, 9:00am
- June 21: Rain date for Huntington
- July 24: Playday at Southern Trace CC, 9:00am
- *August 7: Scramble at Southern Trace. This is a chance to make-up one missed event to count towards 100% participation since there willl be no Team Matches this year
- August 16: Playday at Fox Run GC (also practice round for Championship), 9:00am
- August 23-24: SWGA Championship, Fox Run GC, 9:00am
- *November 8: SWGA Turkey Scramble, Querbes Park, 9:30am
- *December 4: SWGA/SSWGA Jingle Bell Scramble, Northwood, 10:00am, Bring a Toy
2018 SSWGA Events
- Dates marked with (*) do not count toward 100% participation
- *March 13: Stonebridge scramble, 9:00am COMPLETED 28 Players
- April 26: BWGA playday at Huntington, 9:00am
- May 1: East Ridge CC, 9:00am
- June 19: Southern Trace CC, 9:00am
- July 10: Northwood Hills GC, 9:00am
- July 17-18: Championship, Stonebridge CC
- September 6: Fox Run GC, 9:00am
- *November 15: Turkey Scramble, Crooked Hollow GC, 9:30am, $37 includes lunch. This is also annual meeting unless this is changed.
- *December 4: Jingle Belle Scramble, Northwood Hills GC, 10:00am, bring unwrapped toy
Other 2018 LOCAL Events
- May 15-17: (NEW) "The Tradition" 2-Lady Tourney, Golf Club at Stonebridge, Benton, LA
- June 8-10: Stonebridge Couples Tournament, Golf Club at Stonebridge, Benton, LA
- June 22-24: Bonnie & Clyde Couples Tournament, Northwood Hills GC, Blanchard, LA
- September 18-19: Southern Belle, 2-Lady Tourney, Southern Trace CC, Shreveport, LA
- October 24-25: Roadrunner 2-Lady Tournament, Eastridge CC, Shreveport, LA
2018 State/Southern Events
Other 2018 NON-LOCAL Golfing Events
- May 31-June 2: Hot Springs Couples Tournament, Hot Springs Village, AR
- June 2: Queen for a Day, 2-Lady Scramble, Tallulah CC, Tallulah, LA
- June 16: Matthew Elliott Memorial Scramble, Frenchman's Bend GC, Monroe, LA 1:30pm
- August 8: Diamonds in the Rough, 4-lady tournament, Hollytree CC, Tyler, TX
- September 11-13: Twice as Nice Ladies Tourney, Texarkana CC, Texarkana, AR
- September 26-27: Squire Creek 2-Lady Tournament, Squire Creek CC, Choudrant, LA
- October 6-7: Texarkana Couples Tourney, Texarkana CC, Texarkana, AR